Got a Magento Frankenapp on your hands?
Has your Magento site turned into a Frankenapp that’s difficult to control? We’ve seen plenty of Magento Frankenapps appear over the years with core hacks, patched up code, rickety extensions and more. These (usually unintentional) Frankenapps are products of inexperienced developers, DIY fixes, broken patches, and shall we go on?
We’ve even seen some Magento 2 Frankenapp sites come through our door within the last year or so. Due to the general lack of development experience in Magento 2, as well as the newly built M2 extensions, it’s not too surprising that these Magento 2 Frankenapp sites have been created.
However, if you’re the owner of a Magento Frankenapp on M1 or M2, there are ways to get them back up and running.
Get your Magento Frankenapp site back on track!
For Magento 1.x merchants, Magento 2.2 is an opportunity to clear the slate and rebuild. Notably, Magento is planning to stop support for Magento 1.x updates as soon as next year. There’s never been a better time to plan a Magento 2 build.
Magento 1.x data (customers, orders, catalog, and CMS) can be easily migrated to Magento 2 via the data migration tool. Therefore, merchants have a chance to start fresh on Magento 2 by building a new scalable site without the overhead of migrating to a different platform.
Notably, Magento 2 now on version 2.2 comes with way more out-of-the-box functionality complete with all new code and scalable database.
Highlights of Magento 2.2:
- Bundled Extensions – The new Magento Social extension allows you to connect your corporate Facebook account to your online store. The extension creates a product a page from your catalog.
- Security Enhancements – Magento has removed unserialize calls and added protection of this functionality to increase resilience against dangerous code attacks. In addition, protection against Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) attacks has been added.
- Upgraded Technology Stack – Magento now only supports PHP 7.1 Varnish 5, and MySQL 5.7.
- Pipeline Deployment – This creates a new way to deploy to production with minimum possible downtime.
- Indexing Improvements – Customers can browse on a storefront while indexers run without impacting user experience. To better manage memory and run times, long-running indexers operate in batches.
- Cart Improvements – Customers can create a cart with more than 300 items, and merchants can process a cart with at least 300 items.
- Varnish cache operations – Varnish cache now includes saint and grace mode to ensure Varnish is always presenting a cached page to customers.
What about Magento 2 Frankenapps?
For Magento 2 merchants with Frankenapp sites, it is still possible to get back on track. For example, If merchants haven’t upgraded to Magento 2.2, doing so with a reliable developer is a good way to start. An experienced Magento 2 developer can review Magento’s code and troubleshoot problem areas. When looking for a new Magento development partner to start a Magento 2 build or to fix a current build, be sure to avoid these 3 pitfalls when building a Magento 2 site.
As a certified Magento 2 trained partner and as a Professional Magento Solutions Partner, we can help with your Frankenapp. Contact us and tell us about your Frankenapp!